August 18, 2015

Appy Halwa

There were plenty of apples lying in the fruit basket at my home and I didn't know what to do with them. That's when I suddenly recalled the yummy halwa I had at one my my friend's place. It was not the right time to call her and check the recipe. So I simply tried it my own way and it did come out well. I love this simple and healthy halwa. My kids love it too. Thanks to my friend Priya for introducing this simple and yummy dish to me.

Ingredients:
Green/Red Apples - 4 (Grated)
Milk - 1 cup
Milk powder - 4 spoons (optional)
Sugar - 1 cup
Ghee - few spoons
A handful of dry nuts - Cashew/raisins/almond

Method:

  • Take a thick bottomed pan and pour 3 spoons of ghee.
  • Once it is hot, put the grated apples and stir. After a minute, add a cup of milk to it. With occasional stirring, cook them for around 12-15 minutes on medium-low flame. 
  • Once they are all cooked add sugar and mix well. 
  • At this point you may add milk powder if you wish to enhance its taste. Mix the milk powder with very little water and pour it into the pan. Cook further for about 5 minutes. Keep stirring.
  • Add few more spoons of ghee when you notice that the halwa is almost done. You will see that the halwa comes out clean without getting stuck to the pan when you add ghee. Turn off the flame.
  • Roast dry nuts/fruits of your choice in ghee and garnish them on top of your halwa. I added cashew, almond, raisins and figs.
Your halwa is now ready to be served. I love it chilled. My husband loves it hot. Try it the way you want and enjoy your yummy halwa.



2 comments:

Letter From Ex

I came into your life almost a decade ago, do you remember? Do you remember at all... how we spent those wonderful times together?! ...